Thanks for visiting On the Cutting Floor today!
This is the FREE SEWING PATTERN: The pleated dress
If this is your first time in our blog, remember to check our FREE SEWING PATTERNS page.
On that page you will find our collection of free sewing patterns for women, kids and men.
We also have an ETSY STORE, where you will find unique and modern sewing pattern for women.
Free pattern and tutorial
This is the pleated dress. This is one of the most popular and most downloaded pattern from the whole collection! I think it is because of its simplicity, yet complexity that makes it different from the other pleated patterns around.
I also love the contrasting colors on it.
ABOUT THE PATTERN
This printable PDF pattern is assembled with 0.005 inch border (0.01 cm) for the pages, so it must be overlapped in order to get the correct size.
They are on letter size paper.
To print this pattern, go the PDF document. Select FILE — PRINT. Here look for PAGE SIZING AND HANDLING and choose POSTER. This will make the pages to overlap by 0.005 inch. Press PRINT.
Wait until all the pages are printed before taking them from the printer; it will make it easier to assemble.
When finished printing, place the pages as the layout below. Then use tape to put them together. Now cut the pieces.
This will be the layout of the pattern:
Sometimes, there are problems with the printing process and the patterns come in the wrong size (a little bit smaller).
To avoid this, check the 1 inch square at the top left of the first page. It will help you to see if the patterns are the correct size.
The PDF pattern comes in sizes 1 to 8 years; it is color-coded and easy to cut.The colors for each size are:
1 year: black
2 years: red
3 years: green
4 years: blue
5 years: orange
6 years: purple
7 years: yellow
8 years: pink
This pattern comes with a 5/8 inch seam allowance, unless indicated otherwise.
4 medium size buttons
Measuring tape or ruler
Light and medium weight fabrics such as cotton and linen.
I would recommend using your patterns in order to calculate the amount of fabric you will need. I used 1/2 yard for the main fabric (size 1), then 1/2 for the contrasting colors and facing.
Not sure about the measurements?
FREE SEWING PATTERN: The pleated dress
1. Cut the patterns and then,
2. Place pieces number 5 and 6 together and close the sides.
4. Place pieces together, with their right sides facing each other; then, sew them.
5. Piece number 1: Fold it in half and measure 1 3/4 inch from the middle area. Mark it making a 3 inch vertical line.
6. Sew on the vertical line you have just made.
7. Open the top and fold the middle area, making a pleat.
8. Then press it and TOP stitch the neckline of your top to keep it in place.
9. Lay the front top and the back top pieces together, right sides facing.
10. Close the sides and the shoulders.
11. Place the bottom and the top of your dress together, right sides facing. Pin it and sew them.
12. Facing: Place pieces 3 and 4 (top facing) together and sew the sides and shoulders.
14. Turn it to the right side and top stitch the neck area.
15. Pin the armhole and the armhole facing together, making a ¼ inch seam allowance. Then sew them.
16. Fold the right side of the back, making a 2 inch buttonhole area; then, sew it. Repeat with the left side.
17. Place the buttons leaving 3 inches distance between them.
18. Mark the left side of the back following the distance of the buttons on the right side.
19. Change your regular presser foot from your sewing machine to the buttonhole foot.
20. Set your sewing machine to make the buttonhole.
21. To finish your dress, double fold the hem by ½ inch and pin it.
22. Then, sew it.
And it is ready!
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial 🙂