Welcome to On the Cutting Floor.This is Sewing Tutorial: Bias Binding 101.
If this is your first time in our blog, remember to check our FREE SEWING PATTERNS page.
On that page you will find our collection of free sewing patterns for women, kids and men.
We also have an ETSY STORE, where you will find unique and modern sewing pattern for women.
This is a tutorial to learn how to make bias binding on any pattern you want to take from homemade looking to professionally finished.
Sewing Tutorial: Bias Binding 101
The unfinished clothing you are making
Bias tape, either single fold or double fold. You might also chose to make your own bias tape with the fabric you are already using on this project or another one that comes in handy 😉
- Press the fabric flat
- Pin the bias tape to the surface you need to cover.
- Sew along the area within 1/4 inch from the edge. Please note that if your pattern already includes seams allowance, you will need to trim the excess from the pattern before continuing to the next step.
- Press the bias tape to the inside, leaving about 1/8 inch of the main fabric facing the other side of the project.
- Press again. Make sure that the corners have been double folded.
6. Turn to the right side and sew along 3/8 inch the edge
7. And this is how it will look from the inside.
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and found it useful.