Thank you for visiting On the Cutting Floor today. I am happy to present this easy sewing tutorial for a cute and simple pincushion.
EASY SEWING TUTORIAL: Makeup bag
If this is your first time on our blog, remember to check our FREE SEWING PATTERNS page.
On that page you will find our collection of free sewing patterns for women, kids, and men.
We also have an ETSY STORE, where you will find unique and modern sewing patterns for women.
EASY SEWING TUTORIAL:
- 10” x 6” main fabric piece
- 4” x 6” for the bottom fabric (main side)
- 14” x 6” for the facing fabric
14” x 6” Batting
7” regular zipper
- Follow the tutorial on HOW TO ADD A ZIPPER TAB here to prepare your zipper for the project.
2. Place the main fabric and the bottom fabric together, right sides facing and pin the bottom area with a 3/8 inch seam allowance.
3. Stitch the bottom and main fabrics together and press the seam flat.
4. Then open and press the seam upwards.
5. Repeat this process with the other side of the makeup bag and add the batting to them.
6. After this, place the makeup bag main fabric, zipper and lining together, right sides facing. Make sure the zipper teeth are facing the main fabric
7. Stitch the fabrics and zipper together, with a 3/8 inch seam allowance.
8. Turn the fabric to the right side and press them flat. Open the zipper.
9. Now, add the other makeup bag main fabric and lining on the other side of the zipper. Stitch them together with a 3/8 inch seam allowance.
10. Open the makeup bag main fabric and lining and press flat.
11. Now, place facing pieces and main fabric pieces together, right sides facing. Remember that the zipper must be open to do this. Stitch the makeup bag around the sides and bottoms, only leaving a 2 to 3 inches opening to turn the bag to the right side of the fabric.
12. Take the corners of the makeup bag sideways and pin with a 2” length from the bottom to the top. Pin it and stitch it with a regular length stitch.
13. Repeat this with the main bag
14. Trim the corners leaving only about 1/8 inch seam allowance.
14. Turn the bag to the right side of the fabric.