Thank you for visiting On the Cutting Floor today. I am happy to present this easy sewing tutorial for a cute tank top for kids
FREE PATTERN ALERT: Kid’s Tank top pattern
If this is your first time on our blog, remember to check our FREE SEWING PATTERNS page.
On that page you will find our collection of free sewing patterns for women, kids, and men.
We also have an ETSY STORE, where you will find unique and modern sewing patterns for women.
- 1/2 to 1 yard of knit fabric
- Coordinating thread
- 1/4 yard of contrasting ribbing knit fabric
- Ballpoint needle
- Twin needle
- Gather all materials for the Kid’s tank top including front and back bodice, neckband and armhole facing.
2. Place the front and back bodice together, right sides facing and in the shoulder area together with a 3/8 inch seam allowance.
The, stitch front and back together with a zigzag or overlocking stitch.
3. Then, pin the side seams together with a 3/8 inch seam allowance.
4. After this, stitch the side seams with a zigzag or overlocking stitch. Press the seams flat.
5. Neckband and armhole facing: Fold the neckband in half, lengthwise and stitch the opening with a 3/8 inch seam allowance and a zigzag stitch.
6. Now, fold the neckband in half and press flat.
7. Turn the bodice to the right side of the fabric. Then, pin the neckband to the neckline with a bit of stretch into the neckband to adapt the size to the neckline.
Pin them together and stitch it with an overlocking stitch.
8. Then, turn the neckband to the right side and press it flat.
Topstitch the neckband with a 1/8 inch seam allowance. You can use a twin needle to do this.
9. Repeat this process with the armhole facing as well.
10. Finish the tank top by folding the hemline with a 1” and press it flat. Then stitch it with a twin needle or with a zigzag stitch.
And that is all!
Thank you for reading this post and enjoy your free pattern 🙂