Thank you for visiting On the Cutting Floor. This is the Sewing Tutorial: Free Pattern: fringe bag
If this is your first time in our blog, remember to check our FREE SEWING PATTERNS page.
On that page you will find our collection of free sewing patterns for women, kids and men.
We also have an ETSY STORE, where you will find unique and modern sewing pattern for women.
Free Pattern: fringe bag
I am very excited and happy with the result: a modern and minimalistic looking bag with a fun side.
- 1/2 yard of faux suede 1/4 yard of quilting cotton for the lining and pocket. (coordinating fabric for the pocket is optional)
- 1/4 yard of interfacing
- Heavy duty thread on a contrasting color
- 10 7/16” (11 mm) grommets (brass color)
- 1 snap tool
- 1 small hammer Pins
Tutorial: Start by preparing the lining pieces.
1. Iron the interface to each of the lining pieces.
2. The fringe: Start cutting the fringe pieces lengthwise with 3/8 width for each one.
3. Place the two pieces of pocket together, right sides facing and sew along the sides, top and bottom. Remember to leave a 4” opening on the top.
4. Trim the excess fabric and cut the corners.
5. Turn the pocket to the right side and press flat.
6. Pin the pocket to the lining. Sew along the sides and bottom.
7. Add the facing of the bag (it will be the upper part of the bag). Pin and sew lengthwise.
8. Top stitch the facing to the lining.
Repeat with the other piece of lining and facing.
9. Now, place the two pieces of lining together, right sides facing, and sew along the sides.
11. Add the bottom lining piece. Pin and sew along.
12. This is how it will look. Trim the excess fabric.
13. Then, cut on the corners diagonally.
14. Turn the lining to the right side.
Main bag: Start by repeating step 7 and 8: Place the upper bag piece to the main bag piece. Sew along and top stitch.
15. Place the fringe piece between the two main bag pieces. Sew along.
16. Add the bottom of the bag to the main body. Remember cutting the corners of it, so it will be easier to turn the bag to the right side.
17. Turn the bag to the right side. By now, you deserve a hug 🙂 Your bag is almost ready!!!
18. Place the lining and the main bag together, right sides facing. Sew long the top. Remember to leave 4” opening so you can turn the bag to the right side after.
19. Start pulling the inside of the bag out.
20. Keep doing this until you see the lining and the main body completely on the right side. You will see the 4” opening .
Close the opening carefully and top stitch the bag.
Adding the grommets
21. Draw a circle with the grommets size. Cut carefully. I recommend cutting one side of the bag at a time. For this bag I placed 10 grommets: 4 on the back and 6 at the front.
22. Insert the outer grommet to the right side of the bag.
23. Insert the inner side of the grommet to the lining part.
24. Grab the snap tool and the hammer.
25. Place the snap tool on the top of the inner side of the grommet. Use a hard surface for this. Hammer until both sides of the grommet are attached to each other.
Repeat with the other grommets
Bag rope: 26. Fold the sides of the rope and sew along.
27. Press the fabric in the middle. Then, open and fold again, this time turning the edge to the middle.
28. After that, fold the fabric in the middle again and sew along the bottom and the sides.
Shoulder strap: 29. Finally, add the main strap to the bag and follow the stitching marks of the pattern attach it to the bag.
Have fun and let me know your project!