Thank you for stopping by today at On the Cutting Floor. This is the Easy gathered skirt for girls Sewing Tutorial
If this is your first time in our blog, remember to check our FREE SEWING PATTERNS page.
On that page you will find our collection of free sewing patterns for women, kids and men.
You can also visit our SEWING TUTORIALS and our SEWING REVIEWS.
We also have an ETSY STORE, where you will find unique and modern sewing pattern for women.
Easy gathered skirt for girls Sewing Tutorial
This easy skirt pattern and tutorial is the ideal pattern for girls and women who like to start sewing and make some easy weekend projects.
The pattern comes in sizes for girls 3 to 8 years. The sizes are marked on the pattern pieces.
You can also make your own pattern by following an easy tutorial on how to take the measurements for this project, at the end of this post.
The gathered skirt sewing tutorial pattern also comes with a cute, girly heart pocket.
Skirt Gather sewing tutorial
1. 1/4 yard of quilting cotton
2. 1/2 yard of 3/4 inch elastic
3.sewing supplies: coordinating thread, sewing machine, regular needles, scissors.
1. Place the two pieces of main fabric together, wrong sides facing, so you can make some easy French seams
2. Stitch along the side seam.
3. Cut the extra fabric on the seam allowance.
4. Turn the main skirt piece to the wrong side and press with your iron.
5. Stitch along the wrong side now, 3/8 inch seam allowance. Press again
6. Elastic waistband: Fold the fabric 1 1/2 inch to the wrong side. Press flat.
7. Fold the waistband again, 3/8 inch to the inside and press with your iron.
8. Stitch along the waistband, 1/8 inch from the edge.
9. Leave an opening of 4 inches wide. Then, press again
10. Insert the elastic: Bring the elastic to the table and place two safety pins to hold the elastic.
11. Put one safety pin on each side of the elastic.
12. Clip one to the skirt on the outside. 13. And now insert the other safety pin to the skirt.
14. Pull it all the way to the other side. Grab both sides of the elastic and stitch them together.
15. Pull the elastic inside and re-arrange it to be well proportioned.
16. Close the opening of the skirt.
17. Press again.
18. Hemline: Fold the hemline 1 1/2 inch.
19. Press it with your iron to create a crease.
20. Fold again with a 3/8 inch to the wrong side of the fabric.
21. Take it to the sewing machine and stitch along the hemline, 1/8 inch from the edge.
22. Press it flat with your iron.
23. The heart pocket: For this, cut the piece with your template.
24. Place the two pieces together, right sides facing. Sew along the sides 1/4 inch seam allowance.
25. Leave a small opening on the side of the heart (a flat part of the heart, so it is easier to close that opening after)
26. Place the heart of the skirt.
27. Pin it and sew it to the skirt. Leave the top of the heart pocket opened, not stitched.
28. The stitch must be 1/8 inch from the edge.
And your skirt is ready. This is a super easy project, so give it a try 🙂
Leave a Reply