Thank you for stopping by today.
This is our newest Free pattern: The Olivia top
An off-the-shoulder, easy and super trendy summer top.
If you have not made one yet, this is your chance to grab the copy of the pattern for free and follow an easy, step by step tutorial on how to make this Olivia top.
As always, we have worked with the amazing PatternMaker USA software to make this pattern a reality.
Remember to visit PatternMaker USA today and learn more about all the great options it offers to make patterns at home and purchase high quality patterns.
THE PATTERN FEATURES:
A loose fit off the shoulder top with an encased elastic and a rounded hemline.
The materials you will need:
1 1/2 yard of light weight woven fabric ( I used this chambray purchased from Imagine Gnats)
1 yard of 3/4 inch wide elastic
regular sewing needles
2 medium size safety pins.
The pattern will print 20 pages. This file has been tiled to 7.5 to 10 inches so it can be used by letter and A4 format paper.
Each page is marked with a number so you can easily assemble the pages.
Sometimes there are issues with the size of the pages so, please make sure:
- The printing option on your printer shows ”Actual Size’ for the pages.
- Then, check that the 4” X 4” or 10.1 X 10.1 cms square test is the right size.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE PATTERN:
Here is the image of how the pattern should be assembled. Make sure the blue diamonds are aligned correctly.
MEASUREMENT CHART: As always our patterns come from size 4 to 22. Please choose the right size by following this sample size chart (this is not the finished garment size)
Each pattern has a specific line color. Please, check which line color and type will be the one you need.
- Place the front and back bodice pieces together, right sides facing and sew along the side seam.
- Serge the armhole area or use a zigzag stitch to prevent the fabric from fraying
- Then, fold the armhole 1/4 inch to the wrong side and press.
After that, sew along 1/4 inch.
- Now, make a straight stitch 3/8 inch along the hemline.
- Now fold the fabric to the wrong side using the stitch line. Press flat.
- Now fold again and sew along the hemline 3/8 inch from the edge.
- STRAPS: Place both pieces of the strap together, right sides facing and sew along the sides.
- Now, serge along the bottom of the strap or use a zigzag stitch to prevent the fabric from fraying.
- Place the right sides of the strap to the right side of the bodice.
- Sew along the front and back. Then, press flat on the right side.
- Fold the fabric from the strap about 2 inches to the inside of the top. Press again.
After that, sew along the edge of the fold you have just made (i.e. 2 inches from the top) Remember to leave a 4” opening to insert the elastic into it.
- Grab the elastic and add two safety pins to it, one on each edge.
- Now, pin one side to the top opening and insert the other pin into the hole
- Pull the elastic all the way through the casing until you have both sides on your hands. Then, sew them together and close the opening you made to insert the elastic.
Thank you Jess!
Great look! This style is so on-trend right now!
Thank you 🙂
This is very cute! Thanks for the free pattern – now i just need to wait for summer to arrive in the southern hemisphere!
Thank you Jess 🙂
Domenica | Easy Sewing for Beginners says
Thanks for linking up at the DIY Crush Craft Party. I’ve featured your pattern and tutorial on Link Up #49! Yay! Thanks for partying and can’t wait to see what you have coming up next ?
Thank you so much Domenica!
Thanks for the awesome pattern! Before I begin though, does it include the seam allowance?? 🙂 thanks in advance..
Yes, it does include 3/8 seam allowance
I have not tried the pattern yet but shared the link with all my facebook friends, because off-the-shoulder dresses and tops are soooooo….. the trend this summer!! Thank you so much for all the effort and time you put it to make this free pattern available to us. We really appreciate it.
Thank you Marie 🙂
I am about to try the pattern now, but I’m a littl confused with the strap section. Your instructions read “1. Place the right sides of the strap to the right side of the bodice.” Should it not be the wrong side of the strap agaist the right side of the top?
I think you are right. Thank you for the heads up
Hi lovely, I can’t open the download the pattern link in my email? I’m getting the email just can’t download. Cheers
hi Paula, I will send it to you directly tomorrow morning 🙂
Angela Bath says
I love this top however I can not seem to download the pattern.
You can download it by clicking the yellow button at the end of the pattern sewing tutorial.
Angela Bath says
I have tried that but still no success
Angela, I will send you the pattern directly then 🙂